Current Affairs March 23, 2019
1. India Beat Nepal To Win 5th Successive SAFF Women's Championship
- India continued their dominance at the SAFF Women's Championship with the team lifting their fifth straight title with a 3-1 win over Nepal in the final.
- Indian Midfielder Indumathi Kathiresanand Nepali forward player Sabitra Bhandari became the top scorers in the match with four goals each.
- This win has extended India's run in the tournament history to 23 games.
2. Mi Pay a UPI Based Payments app launched by Xiaomi in India
- Xiaomi launched 'Mi Pay' in India. They are calling it the ' UPI app for Xiaomi users.'
- Xiaomi has tied up with ICICI Bank for the role of the payment service provider while the NPCI monitored Unified Payments of India (UPI) will be the digital wallet interface.
- Xiaomi has also assured that the data will be stored in encrypted form and will be secure.
3. CBSE launches new 'Shiksha Vani' app to upload podcast on Class 10, 12 exam evaluation process
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) launched a new podcast app 'Shiksha Vani' earlier this week. This app will disseminate crucial information to students and parents in a timely manner.
- The CBSE board also mentioned that its first episode, on the evaluation process of Class 10 and 12 board examinations, has been released on the platform.
- This episode is helpful for all the students, as when the examinations proceed, the episode helps students understand how their completed papers will be evaluated.
4. SpiceJet joins global airlines' grouping IATA
- SpiceJet has joined global airlines' grouping IATA as a member, becoming the first Indian low-cost carrier to get the membership.
- The International Air Transport Association (IATA) represents more than 290 airlines, including Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara.
- SpiceJet has become the first Indian low-cost carrier to join the IATA as a member.
5. Fitch cuts India GDP growth forecast for FY20 to 6.8% from previous 7%
- Fitch Ratingscut India's economic growth forecast for the next financial year starting April 1, to 6.8 per cent from its previous estimate of 7 per cent, on weaker than expected momentum in the economy.
- The rating agency has also cut growth forecasts for FY20 and FY21 to 7 per cent from 7.3 per cent and 7.1 per cent from 7.3 per cent, respectively.
- Fitch said, it's benign oil price outlook and expectations of accelerating food prices in the coming months should support rural households' income and consumption.
6. Phone pe appointed Aamir Khan as Brand Ambassador
- PhonePe, India's fastest growing payments platform announced appointed of Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan as its brand Ambassador.
- PhonePe is also an official co-presenting sponsor for the television broadcast of VIVO IPL 2019, and will be launching a series of new TV ads featuring Aamir Khan during this season.
- PhonePe stands for innovation and trust and has been instrumental in simplifying digital payments for millions of Indians in a very short span of time.
7. Fifa slaps lifetime ban on Ecuador football head Luis Chiriboga over bribery
- Fifa slapped a lifetime ban on the disgraced former head of Ecuador's football federation, Luis Chiriboga, after finding him guilty of taking bribes.
- Chiriboga was one of the executives arrested in 2015 amid a massive US-led crackdown on corruption in world football.
- After finding him guilty, Fifa's ethics judges banned Chiriboga from all football-related activities for life and fined him 1 million Swiss francs